Search This Blog

Monday, March 30, 2009


Daylilies

Daylilies will be a main feature perennial here at Old Country Gardens.

Why? Well, because they are so easy to grow!


This photo shows a clump of daylily 'Sun's Shadow' as it's emerging out of the ground. It's in desperate need of division, it's actually mounding up out of the soil (quite different from when a plant heaves out of the ground due to frost).

As you can see from the top photo, 'Sun's Shadow' is a stunning daylily. It was bred right here on Long Island. One of the things I've been working on for years (and my favorite topic to lecture on) is a list of perennials for Long Island Gardens. If you don't live on Long Island, my garden falls in the zone 6b area so you can judge for yourself how well these plants would do for you. We get lots of cold nights, warmer winter days than the interior of the USA and very little reliable snow cover.

Last night within minutes of beginning this blog I received a phone call. It was a total coincidence but a local garden club called and booked me for a lecture on April 21st. I'll take that as a great sign of things to come :-)

Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do so love to read your comments! Much as I wish I also had time to reply, many times I will have to choose between replying to comments or creating a new post so please understand if I choose to use my time on a new post. This will also give me time to visit some of you too.