Search This Blog

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Friday and Saturday, May 15th & 16th


There's lots of beautiful plants blooming in our gardens right now and a few new beauties in pots. Our Galium odoratum (Sweet woodruff) and our Convalaria majalis (Lily of the valley) are both in bloom this weekend. Both are the sweetest things (take a sniff if you don't believe me).


Also in it's full glory is our Mazus reptans path. Mazus is a little, creeping ground cover that is just perfect to fill in the bare spots between stepping stones. Don't have any stepping stones? Well we know of other great spots for Mazus too.


How incredible are these hypertufa troughs! My friend Kim and I found a great source for these wonderful containers and I've purchased a few for me and a few for you. Stop by and watch me pot them up. I'll be working on several different sizes on Saturday.


Some of the containers will hold sun plants and some will hold shade plants. Hypertufa is a mixture of cement, peat moss and sand. Containers made from hypertufa look and feel like concrete but are not as heavy. Filled with soil they certainly aren't light either but at least I can lift them and move them to different locations.

There's a nice selection of Hen's and Chicks here to fill your own containers with, they are really starting to plump up now. Also, we now carry shade perennials from Fox Hollow Farm so if you are looking for some of the best mini hosta and ferns on Long Island you will want to stop by while we have lots of stock.

We'll be open Friday afternoon (after 2:00 pm please) and all day Saturday (10:00 - 4:00 pm). Hope to see you soon.

Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do so love to read your comments! Much as I wish I also had time to reply, many times I will have to choose between replying to comments or creating a new post so please understand if I choose to use my time on a new post. This will also give me time to visit some of you too.