Search This Blog

Friday, July 3, 2009

Daylilies are blooming!

Ok people, no choice, for the next week or two I'm going to inundate you with daylily photos. After all, for many years they were my favorite perennial.

This opening photo is 'Spotted Fever'. A stunning double daylily with stippling on the petals but unfortunately, not the best choice for a name.

'Jeanne Fitton' was hybridized right here on Long Island, by Mr. George Rasmussen. It's an oldie but I still don't know another daylily with the color of this one. These photos are as accurate as can be.

Another look at 'Jeanne Fitton', just a little closer. It is unbelieveable compared with the bloom blooms on the Nepeta 'Six Hills Giant' (cat-mint).

Finally, 'Delta Force' from Jamie Gossard of Ohio was putting on a show today. Actually at least 50 varieties were in bloom but unfortunately I spent all morning putting together flower arrangements for Lauren and forgot to take photos before the sun was shining on the blooms.

For those of you who are new to plant photography, don't take your photos while the sun is shining on the plant, the sun washes out the colors and casts shadows at the same time. If possible, wait for shade or a passing cloud.

Off to read a good book,
Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do so love to read your comments! Much as I wish I also had time to reply, many times I will have to choose between replying to comments or creating a new post so please understand if I choose to use my time on a new post. This will also give me time to visit some of you too.