Search This Blog

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Getting Ready for Opening Day

Mother Nature did her best to help us get ready for opening day. Although there's a gazillion things I'd like to still get done, it looks like we'll be ready to start sales on Saturday, April 25th. I'm going to list the official opening time as 10:00 am. It won't be our "Grand Opening", just a preview sales day. If the weather holds, we'll be selling on Sunday morning too. I'm still figuring out a way to let folks know when we are open.

Only a portion of our plants have been dug and potted but some of them are starting to bloom and I know people want to get them while they look so good.

Both the blue and the pink Viola's are full of buds and I've got both varieties potted up now. They do seed around quite a bit but for those of you with shaded areas under trees, these little darlings are perfect!


The holding area is just crammed full of pots, in fact, I need to start a third holding area (this is actual the second spot already). The Dicentra spectabilis (Bleeding hearts) have started to bloom too, as usual there is only a very limited selection of them in pink and in white. I think the Euphorbia polychroma (Cushion spurge) will start to show color any day.


Uh oh, it looks like I waited a bit too long on dividing up the large Thalictrums. I've got them soaking in a tub with water, hopefully all they need is a few days of moisture and shade to perk them up again.

The Hosta are finally up enough that I can start to dig them too. This is Hosta 'Pineapple Upside Down Cake'. I love how the pips are purple on the bottom and lime green on the tips.

In the bottom left corner you can see what 'Pineapple Upside Down Cake' looks like. I love it so much that I haven't decided yet if I have the heart to dig and divide it. Don't worry though, there's lots of Hosta in pots already and lots more that will get divided.

Off to soak in the tub for a bit,
Melanie

1 comment:

  1. Melanie,
    Put out a marching band flag in pink and green like your business card down at the end of the driveway. You know, like antique stores do with the red, white and blue flags.
    BTW, I gave out your card to garden club ladies looking for speakers. Now I need more!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

I do so love to read your comments! Much as I wish I also had time to reply, many times I will have to choose between replying to comments or creating a new post so please understand if I choose to use my time on a new post. This will also give me time to visit some of you too.