Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

First week of April


Well, even with spitting snow flurries, another day was spent in the garden. Once again, my fingers were numb and my nose raw but any day in the garden is better than a day spent indoors!

So far this week I've made a very tiny dent in the vast amount of perennials that need to be divided and/or potted. I've gotten a few of each of the following potted up so far:

Aquilegia vulgaris (Black columbines)
Daylily 'Celtic Christmas' (a wonderful red daylily hybridized here on Long Island)
Adenophora (Ladies bells, similar to Campanula)
Hosta (only solid green varieties so far)
Dicentra spectabilis (Bleeding Hearts)
Digitalis purpurea (fox gloves)
Euphorbia polychroma (cushion spurge)
Heuchera (a lovely purple variety)
2 different ground cover Sedums

This clump of Coreopsis verticillata 'Zagreb' is begging for a good dividing. Hopefully I'll get at it in the next day or two as I find they look much better if divided before putting on much growth.

Dividing Coreopsis later in the season doesn't seem to affect it's health but new divisions get droopy looking and that just drives me crazy!

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings :-)
Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do so love to read your comments! Much as I wish I also had time to reply, many times I will have to choose between replying to comments or creating a new post so please understand if I choose to use my time on a new post. This will also give me time to visit some of you too.